Pages

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Adventures with Grandpa

All my grandparents grew up in England (which is explains my many relatives over here), but both sets immigrated to Canada before my parents were born. However, since they have ties over here, they come back to visit every so often. It’s actually worked out for me that by the end of the summer I’ll have got to meet up with all of them!

Anyways, my Grandpa picked me up from Rowleth End, and started his “whirlwind tour” of England.  And I mean that literally. We crossed the country multiple times.

Castlerigg Stone Circle - a stop on the way to the lakes

From the Yorkshire Dales we raced up to the Lake District, which is where my Grandmother grew up in a town called Bassenthwaite. Unfortunately it was raining (though, so far this summer has mostly consisted of rain, it’s wet even for England!), but I could still tell that it was beautiful. We stopped at the house my Grandmother lived in, and at the church where my grandparents got married, my dad was christened in, and my great- and great-great grandmothers are buried. We also drove by many of the major lakes in the district. After our tour of the lakes we spent the night at my Grandmother’s sister’s house in Fleetwood.
An old Saxon Church in Bassenthwaite - where my grandparents almost got married

Next, we drove to the centre of England, to a town called Ashby-de-la-zouche. Now, I’ve grown up hearing about this town because my Grandpa grew up here, and my great-grandfather was still alive when I was little so I remember my dad going to his 100th birthday. Also, his wife, my step-great-grandmother still lives there, so we stayed with her – she’s 94.  I always imagined it a lot smaller than it actually is..

Anyways, it has a really great castle! Or castle ruin, to be more specific. But know why it’s a ruin? Because it was a royalist stronghold in the English Civil War, and when Cromwell’s forces defeated the royalists they blew up part of the wall so it became indefensible. It’s pretty awesome still though. You can even climb up a tower, go through some underground tunnels, and see where there were fireplaces etc.

Ashby Castle

The tower of Ashby Castle


At the top of the tower

My grandpa and I also did a day trip out to Oxford. Our first stop was lunch at The Eagle and Child, the legendary meeting place of The Inklings (you know, JRR Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and their friends. For those who still don’t know, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia authors). Then we did one of those open top bus tour-y things. After that I went to do a closer up look at Oxford Castle.


The original Oxford Castle was built for William the Conqueror, and the later stone one became Charles I’s base when he made Oxford the capitol during the English Civil War. After the civil war, until as recently as 1996 it was used as a prison. And yes, there were improvements made in that time, but not a whole lot. The prisoners still didn’t have toilets in 1996.. Ugh

Oxford Castle

Blenheim Palace near Oxford

Next, we made our way back up to Beverley, near York, where I had some down time before my week of Cambridge, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford, again!

Flamborough Lighthouse, near Beverley

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am sure with Grandpa you were, in fact, "racing" around England. I'm not sure he understands the concept of, say, a Sunday drive. Glad you enjoyed your time together, though. It is a shame you did not see more of the Lakes, but perhaps another time.

    Dad xo

    ReplyDelete