Pages

Monday 9 July 2012

Liverpool and York

As I mentioned in my last post, I did spend some time in Liverpool doing non-Beatles things. Granted, it wasn't a lot, but I did!
I got to Liverpool kind of late afternoon, so most museums and things were closing shortly. It also didn’t help that I had wandered around for some time trying to find my hostel – it turns out that the maps in Liverpool make the distances between things look a lot bigger than they really are (this tripped me up a few times).

Anyways, so the first day I actually went to check out some churches, the first two Anglican, and the last one Catholic. 
St. Luke’s is actually no longer owned by the Anglican Church, but by the city of Liverpool because it was bombed in WWII. The whole inside was bombed out, but the walls remain.

 Liverpool Cathedral

The Metropolitan Cathedral is also known as “The Pope’s Rocket” which I completely understand.

If you’ve been reading this blog, you’ll also know that I’m pretty interested in the Titanic, and it turned out that the Liverpool Maritime Museum has a permanent display featuring The Titanic, and a special exhibition for the 100th anniversary. Though Titanic never went to Liverpool, it was registered there and was it’s official homeport. Also, did you know that Canada has it’s own big passenger ship disaster? Yeah, The Empress of Ireland sunk in the St. Lawrence, but for some reason has been almost forgotten.

Builders model of Titanic
From Liverpool, I went to some relatives in Beverley, which is near York. Beverley isn’t particularly big, but does have two old churches, one of which is a Minster. While staying with my relatives we went to York for a day. Did you know that York was once a Viking city called Jorvik? Yeah, York is old!! But anyways, we went to the museum on the Vikings (also called Jorvik), and obviously visited York Minster. We also walked along the old city wall, visited The Shambles, The Yorkshire Castle Museum and had lunch at what claims to be the oldest pub in York. York is also the birthplace of Guy Fawkes!
Beverley Minster

York City Wall

Clifford's Tower - York

The Shambles

York Minster

From Beverley I went to my next HelpX place – a B&B in the Yorkshire Dales called Rowleth End!



No comments:

Post a Comment