Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

Registered!

I officially registered with SWAP this afternoon to start the process of moving to the UK to work for the summer.
Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_flags
It hasn't really sunk in yet that I'll be going.
Partly because I still won't be leaving for 2 months, and I have a billion things to do before then.
And partly because I didn't find out about the SWAP program until last Wednesday, and it's only Monday. It all happened really quickly.

SWAP is a Canadian program that helps young people, students and non-students alike, to get visas for a variety of countries, and provides support before leaving and after you arrive. Visit www.swap.ca for more detailed info.

Out of all the countries available, I chose the UK for a variety of reasons:
a) They speak English. For my first long term travel abroad by myself, I figured baby steps are in order.
b) I have a ton of family who live there, who will be willing to help me out, guide me around, or give me a place to crash as I roam around
c) I love history. England is full of history. Queens, Castles, Shakespeare, Oh my!
d) Harry Potter and The Beatles (just kidding! kind of...)

Anyways, I think it will be a good experience and a lot of fun!
My parents have been especially supportive of me in this endeavour, for which I'm extremely grateful. As soon as I brought it up they were all for it. In fact all my family are very encouraging. As is Spencer, which means a lot to me.

5 comments:

  1. hey - I lift you a comment - where did it go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked you where your follower button is so that I can follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you are venturing forth on your own to explore the world. Don't forget we speak English over here too ;-) We have heaps of rellies over there so I will be following you with great interest - let me know if you need any contacts - have particularly lovely cousins in Brighton & Greece :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Raewyn, NZ is high up on my list of places to visit. I just didn't want to waste a year visa on only 4 months, if I'm going to go to NZ I want to use every minute of it! And thanks for the offer of contacts, they're always helpful! =)

      Delete