Pages

Monday 12 March 2012

Oh the Visa Process..

So, I think I'm finally going to be able to hand in my visa application. Hopefully.
As I knew it would, the Visa has been a bit of an adventure. Little did I know that it would start with printing the darn thing off...

Of course it wasn't as easy as just plugging the printer cord into my computer and pressing print, but I didn't realize that at first. So, 9 pages later I realize that it doesn't fit on letter size paper, I would have to go find some legal size. None of my roommates had some, and neither did Spencer's. I went to the bookstore, they didn't have any either. Luckily, the photocopy shop in the student union building did, because I would not have been impressed if I had to bus to Staples to buy some.. Anyways, I bought 11 thinking that 2 extra pages would be just fine to figure out how to print with legal size on my printer. Of course I was wrong. It took 6.
The manual feeder wouldn't work, it kept jamming.
I couldn't figure out how to elongate the tray until I finally downloaded the manual from the internet.
I made the tray longer, it still jammed, but less often.


I eventually had 5 out of 9 pages printed...had to buy more paper. Sigh.

So, I started filling it out. Most of the questions were pretty straightforward, and SWAP did provide me with step-by-step instructions. I had some questions, so I went to see my "travel counsellor", he emailed some SWAP coordinator, and their response was something along the lines of "read the welcome package". Thanks SWAP, I didn't think to do that first...
I think I have it filled out properly though. Fingers crossed!

All filled out!

I also need to submit a passport photo with the Visa application. It said one colour passport photo (45mm by 35mm) in my Welcome Package. I assumed that was regular Canadian Passport size, honestly, how was I to know differently? Alas, I come home with my photo (after going to Walmart, where the portrait studio was closed because my mum and I took too long eating dinner, and then going to London Drugs), and looked at the dimensions. It was not 45mm by 35mm.
Not impressed. SO not impressed...

So, tomorrow after class I will be going to get more passport photos.
Then I will be photocopying everything.
And handing my Visa application in (which includes a list of times I've been out of the country in the last 10 years. Which is a lot. I guess they want to make sure I'm not a terrorist).
Current passport, old passport, unusable passport photo!

Hopefully, everything will go smoothly after that.. but I still need to get a bank letter and go to Vancouver for biometric testing. So we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. They could have just asked me. I would tell them you are not a terrorist. xox. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad, unfortunately they might assume you have some sort of bias, considering I'm your daughter and all =P

    ReplyDelete