Pages

Saturday 19 May 2012

Cornwall Crusader

So, I'm back from my tour with Haggis Adventures. I had a fantastic time! The guides were great, and the company even better. Most people were Aussie, some other Canadians, a family from India, a German and an Italian.
I went on the Cornwall Crusader tour, which took me all over the Southwest of England, through Somerset, Devon, and Cornwall.
We left from London, and on our first day we hit up Stonehenge, Salisbury (where I saw an original copy of the Magna Carta!), and Cheddar Gorge, where Cheddar Cheese comes from, and the Cheddar Man was found.
Stonehenge - It's actually crazy how much we don't know about this, and how ingenious it is. 

Salisbury Cathedral - This is where I saw the Magna Carta, but wasn't allowed to take a picture of it

Cheddar Gorge - It's a very picturesque town. Makes delicious cheese. I had some 'cave-aged' Cheddar, and I could eat it all day. I also had some warm mulled cider which was amazing!

We stayed in Bath that night, but it was only a pitstop, though I did take this picture in front of the Royal Crescent.

On the second day we stopped at England's highest waterfall (Canonteign Falls), climbed a Tor (a rocky hill) in Dartmoor while we made our way to Newquay - a beach town.


View from the Top of the Waterfall

I thought it was hilarious that the waterfall was man made. The Lady of the house decided she wanted a waterfall, so paid to have one made!

The Tor

At the top of the Tor

Included in my tour was a surfing lesson on one of the beaches around Newquay. It was early in the morning, and I was expecting it to be really cold, however it wasn't that bad! Of course, I was wearing a wet suit and boots, so that helped a lot! Unfortunately, nobody wanted to get up early and take pictures of us, so I don't have any of me surfing. I had a wonderful time though, and while I didn't get completely on my feet, I did make it to my knees. I was a bit overenthusiastic with taking my hands off the board.

The beach where I went surfing, and an homage to my blog! I also ate my first batch of English fish and chips on this beach.

So, Day Three! We went to the amazing Minnack Theatre right on the ocean. It had literally been hewn from the rock, and a lot of it done by one woman! An amazing story. While there I had a proper cornish cream tea with clotted cream and jam on scones, jam on first of course, the proper cornish way! Next we went to Land's End, the most westerly point in England. We did a walk along the cliffs which was beautiful. After that we stopped at some random rock clusters/sculptures that have been around for 100's of years, before stopping to eat a Cornish Pasty in St. Ive's.

Above 2 photos - Minnack Theatre

Land's End

Land's End is well known for it's dangerous waters - Lot's of Shipwrecks



Men an tol - they think it might have been an entrance to a burial chamber, also there are lots of superstitions surrounding it

Lanyon Quoit - King Arthur's table

The fourth day was King Arthur day. We went to Tintagel Castle, which the King Arthur legend says is his birthplace. We also went to Glastonbury which is said to be the Isle of Avalon and King Arthur's burial place.



Above 3 photos - Tintagel Castle

Glastonbury Tor - Isle of Avalon, a long time ago this Tor would have been an island certain times of the year!

Our last night was once again spent in Bath. I went to see the Diary of Anne Frank at the theatre there, and on the last day I went to the Roman Baths, for which Bath is named. We also stopped at a town called Lacock, that hasn't changed it's architecture since the 1600's - no power lines, or satellite dishes here! And then our last stop was at the largest henge in Britain, the standing stones in Avebury.
Roman Baths

Lacock

Standing Stones in Avebury

And that's basically a summary of what I've been doing the last week! I've got a couple days in London, before heading up to Liverpool for a couple days, then some farm time!

Also, feel free to comment! As much as I love comments from my parents, everyone else can comment too!




3 comments:

  1. Looks like you have made a really good call to go with the tour companies you did - you have seen so much and really interesting stuff too. Is accommodation part of the tour cost?

    I see a tour I would LOVE to do with them - Up Helly Aa!! I guess I will have to start saving so I can live me dream too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, accommodation wasn't included in the tour cost. But the accommodation was reasonably priced hostels, which were really nice.
    I saw way more than I would have otherwise though, and things that I didn't even know existed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought you LIVED for my comments!

    Looks like you had a blast and saw and did a lot of super cool things.

    ReplyDelete